Youth therapy is designed to help children and teenagers deal with issues that are specific to them, and to address mental health concerns such as depression and anxiety. Therapy can be initiated by a parent or guardian, either at the child’s request or in response to troubling behaviours , or by the child. Although youth therapy usually involves at least one family member, most Canadian provinces allow children and teenagers to seek mental health services independently, without parental consent.As a registered psychotherapist and counsellor for mental health in Toronto
, I highly recommend it.
Youth counselling is conducted by therapists who have an in-depth understanding of the issues faced by children. They are able to provide the help that is needed, to clients whose brains are still developing and who are in the most formative years of their lives.
Youth therapy is a critical tool in today’s world. It helps countless children and teens navigate a challenging world, and in many cases it can save lives. Examples of how youth therapy can help include the following:
- Mental illnesses, which in previous generations were largely undiagnosed and untreated among youth, can now be addressed in an age-appropriate manner
- Inter generational conflicts can be reduced as children and teens learn to effectively communicate with their parents and vice versa
- Youth can be guided through the process of exploring issues relating to their self-esteem and body image, and addressing eating disorders and other self-injurious behaviour
- Children who have experienced or seen a traumatic event can get professional help as they describe their experiences and begin the process of recovery
- Children who are involved in incidents of bullying, either as the bully, the victim or a witness, can get the help they need as warranted by the circumstances
- Children who have a sibling with a disability or serious illness can learn coping skills and communication techniques that will help them
To learn more about how you or a child or teenager in your family can benefit from youth counselling, call Alexandra Gusinsky today.